Shocks and Struts: What You Need to Know
What are They and What Do They Do?
They're critical parts of your Subaru suspension system. They help the car or SUV you love remain stable by controlling the activity of coil springs. This, in turn, helps maintain wheel alignment. As a result, body roll is minimized, your tires stay on the road, your vehicle continues to handle and brake consistently. In other words, driving remains enjoyable.
What's the Difference Between Them?
Shock absorbers are usually mounted vertically behind your tires, and their hydraulics keep spring movement to a minimum. Strut assemblies, which look like extensions of wheels, are often mounted horizontally. They usually contain a spring and a shock, and they're weight-bearing, so, they're somewhat stronger than a shock alone. Note that some Subaru vehicles may have shocks on one axle and struts on the other, but not all have struts.
Occasionally, one, the other, or both can wear out. In such cases, replacement, versus repair, is recommended. If yours have started going bad, you're in luck: there are symptoms that'll let you know.
What are the Signs They're Failing or Bad?
- Ride quality that's become rougher than usual
- Your vehicle leaning forward excessively when it stops
- Unusual bouncing
- Pulling to the side when turning
- Poorer steering response and losing control at higher speeds
- Uneven tire treads or flat areas on your tires, called cupping (not otherwise caused by wheel misalignment)
- An oily or greasy film on the parts
Fortunately, such signs usually appear well before the things get worse. If you're seeing any of them, do a thorough suspension inspection. You should take a look at the system every 50,000 miles or so; be sure you double-check your owner's manual's maintenance schedule for the last word on that. Replace any shock or strut that the results indicate. You can find them here our auto parts store.
Maintain Your Subaru Suspension with Genuine OEM Shocks and Struts
Those designed by your brand will fit the car or SUV model you drive, guaranteed. You can order them online, directly from Subaru, right here. Buy today, and we'll ship them to your door in no time.
No results found for "shock, strut". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!